Several Lasting Effects
For those who have been abusing drugs or alcohol for a significant amount of time, or have used to extreme excess, there are several lasting effects on the body, mind, and even just their lives in general. With more than 20 million people struggling with some kind of drug or alcohol abuse disorder, now is a time when people need help more than ever before.
Here are some statistics on the drug and alcohol crisis to help you get a perspective on just how damaging this issue can be. Whether you’re looking to get help for yourself or someone in your life, these numbers are just a few good reasons why you should find treatment or assistance as soon as you can.
- Of the millions of people who struggle with substance abuse, about 1 in 8 have problems with both alcohol and
- There are 8.5 million people who are struggling with substance abuse and a co-existing mental health disorder.
- 74% of those surveyed reported struggling with alcohol addiction, while 38% reported their struggles were with illicit drug use.
- The drug and alcohol problem in the United States has cost $740 billion in lost productivity, healthcare expenses, crime and legal costs, and other related areas.
- Genetics are responsible for about 40-60% of someone’s likelihood to develop a substance abuse disorder.
- As many as 75% of those in local jails and state prisons who have a mental health disorder also struggle with substance abuse, and vice versa.
- Alcohol is the third-leading preventable cause of death in the United States. This includes overdose, alcohol-related accidents, diseases, and other deaths related to or resulting from alcohol abuse.
- Substance use disorders have a relapse rate of 40-60%, although those odds decrease with successful treatment.
On the Flip Side
- There are now more than 14,500 substance abuse treatment centers in the United States alone that offer a variety of types of care and addiction treatment solutions.
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), the largest and most well-known support group or “program” for those struggling with alcohol addiction, has over 2 million members around the world with 120,000 groups across 175 countries and counting.
#'s Don't Lie?
The numbers don’t lie. Alcohol and drug abuse are serious issues and they can have a serious impact. If you or someone you love is struggling with an addiction, get help as soon as possible so you don’t become another statistic.